Correcting Mike Chen About Chinese Burgers

I'm a big fan of food YouTuber Mike Chen. I've been following him for years. He's a creative and engaging personality who really knows food. But there is one thing he does that bugs the heck out of me. Like thousands of other people, he misuses the term "Chinese hamburger."

He should know better. He has presented himself as a burger expert. Other respected foodtubers call him a burger expert. And in fact, I believe his "is" a burger expert, which is what makes his use of the term "Chinese burger" so infuriating. He knows the real name of that sandwich is "Rou Jia Mo 肉夹馍" but opts for the less precise "Chinese burger." He knows full well that if there is no patty, there is no burger. 

This is less about what the sandwich is called than it is about the bastardization of language. Although I'm using Mike Chen as an example here, it's not to pick on him. If he should see this, I hope he'll take it as friendly criticism from a fan. 

Related:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Keep it classy.