Easy Chicken Broth Recipe (Dogs Will Love This Too)

A good broth makes a huge difference in your ramen soup! It's easy, as I show you in the video (below). Basically, it's simply boiling chicken until the fat has emulsified into the water, making it rich and creamy. You can use any part of the chicken for this. Here, I used chicken hearts because my dog Charlie loves them.

By letting the fat emulsify in boiling water, you get a broth that will push your next bowl of ramen to restaurant quality. Season it however you want. I personally like adding garlic (fresh or powder) and a little salt. That's it, and I'll add other seasonings when I actually make the ramen: Turmeric, ginger, cayenne pepper, and sesame oil. So simple, and so much better than just using the flavor pack that comes with your brick of ramen noodles. My goal is to emulate a tonkotsu ramen broth.

"The characteristic creamy colour of the Tonkotsu broth," says The Japanese Food Lab, "comes from an emulsion of rendered fat, collagen and gelatin, whereby the gelatin acts as a surfactant that emulsifies the fat." This is usually done by boiling pork bones, but it works with chicken or beef just as well. Or, as in my video, chicken hearts.

But what, you may ask, does "emulsify" mean? The Spruce Eats defines it this way: "To emulsify means to combine two ingredients together which do not ordinarily mix easily. The ingredients are usually a fat or an oil, like olive oil, and a water-based liquid like broth, vinegar, or water itself."

Charlie loves hearts!
I'm killing two birds with one stone, so to speak, with the hearts. They're a healthy treat for Charlie.

"As the heart is not a secreting organ, such as the liver, it can be considered muscle meat and is not a high risk for causing loose stools! Recommended feeding up to 10-15% of the diet, or up to 4 per day for cats and small dogs," according to truecarnivores.com.

And I confess that I like them, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Keep it classy.